Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Intern Interjection!

For the last twelve years, I’ve worked with interns from the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism. With an ever-expanding roster, now coming to me from other parts of campus as well, I’ve learned to pay attention to how students are receiving information, communicating with others and even formulating fashion equations. Why?  Long before the Facebook phenomenon, my interns scoped prospective backups through Friendster, a predecessor to the popular social networking site. When I was creating my website, it was an intern who introduced me to Tumblr, and gave me compelling enough reason to open my own account, Mood of the Moment. Over a year later, Teen Vogue launched theirs. In short, trends on campus reveal what’s to come. And, of course, it only works if it’s a two-way street, where we learn from each other. Enter Intern Interjection, a chance for my team of future editors to practice recognizing story lines, whether in fashion or technology or food.  And it’s an opportunity for readers to get a glimpse of what may matter to your clients tomorrow.
photo collaboration with Maddie Zerkel of Athentic

Reporting by Joanna Sullivan, 21, magazine journalism major
There has been this phenomenon recently of impressively dressed boys on the UGA campus. Perhaps some of them are getting inspiration on Pinterest or they are starting to pick up on the fact that girls love well kept boys. Either way, they have really been stepping it up!  Rather than looking too intentionally put together, these boys sport clothing that makes them look like refined grungy gents. That rugged man element is there, but at the same time everything fits well, all colors coordinate, and their large beards are trimmed regularly. It seems that they are reconstructing the look of the hackneyed hipster by combining the cardigans they’ve had since high school with their military inspired jackets from last year while they polish off the look with a brand new pair of MacAlister boots. For the first time in a while it seems that the girls are following after the boys' style by stomping into class with Doc Martens and oversized menswear from Surplus stores. So with this said, I've gotta say, gee, I wish I was back in the army

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...